Monday, February 14, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird - Chapters 1-11: Personal Response (Part 3)

What memories of your own childhood come to mind as you read about Scout's experiences? (cont.)

In this blog post, I shall talk about superstitions. A list of compiled superstitions that I believe in (whether in the past or in the present):

- Not to shake legs while eating
- Not to use utensils to hit the bowl when eating
- Not to have legs swept by a broom
- Friday the 13th
- Not to let a black cat cross one's path
- Not to open an umbrella indoors
- "Touch wood"
- Four leaf clover
- Not to walk under a ladder
- Not to break a mirror
- Not to sit on a book
- When you sneeze continuously, someone is talking ill behind you back
- Chinese culture superstitions
and many others...

These superstitions come mainly from my parents and grandparents. For example, I would emulate the behaviour of my father that he does not like his legs being swept by a broom. When I shake my legs while eating, my grandmother would tell me to stop it. Others like Friday the 13th were told to me by my friends in school. Although these superstitions are not scientifically proven, a lot of people still believe them as these superstitions are already inculcated in one's mind. It would be tremendously difficult to change one's perspective of what is correct and what is wrong when the person avoid these things naturally.

I think that these superstitions are acceptable for the society as they reflect the racial, religious and cultural viewpoints of certain things. By examining these superstitions, we are able to learn much about the culture of a certain country or the upbringing of a person. As long as these superstitions do not harm anybody or anything in any way, it would do no harm in believing them.

An example of my childhood would be that in Primary 3, there were rumours spreading through the school that the toilets on the 3rd floor, next to the library, were haunted. At first, I avoided going to these toilets as I was afraid that the rumours might prove to be accurate. However, there was one time, due to some circumstances, that I had no choice but to use that certain toilet. After easing myself, I hurriedly rushed out and never returned after that till the rumours about the haunted toilet died out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ivan,

    I think that the two points are more respectful than superstitious:
    - Not to shake legs while eating
    - Not to use utensils to hit the bowl when eating

    Also, I agree that superstitions have been passed down through generations, and are from our ancestors. They are integrated into our society and are usually affected by either cultural or social influences.

    Do you think that superstitions should be encourauged in our society nowadays? Do you feel that superstitions and old-fashioned beliefs may be slowing our progress as a society?

    Jiefeng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jiefeng,

    I do agree that they are respectful as well but it is subjective to how one views the superstition.

    Again, I feel that the matter you raised in the third point is dependent on what superstition one is referring to, if it does not slow the progress of a society like Friday the 13th, there is no harm in encouraging them.

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete